Friday, January 29, 2010

5:30 AM

this morning my alarm went off at 5:30...
i hit snooze.
then it went off sometime between 5:30 and 5:40...
i hit snooze.
i heard sirens in the far off distance.
as i SLOWLY opened my eyes to another day i saw lights flashing on our bedroom wall.
i went to look out and i saw lots of smoke and very bright lights!
i told jacob there was a fire and he came to look.
i was very worried and he said it was really far away...
it wasn't far away!
it was not our neighbor, but our neighbor's neighbor.
jacob went out and i stayed in the house thinking of what all we would need if we had to leave.
here is the volvo...we couldn't leave if we wanted to at this point.

what is irreplaceable?
what is really important?

the homeowner/renter...which i have never met was standing across the street looking at their house on fire, visibly upset. i know i would be very upset in this situation too!

we have insurance...but what would we have to get out?

we know that our treasures are in heaven and the things in our house are just things!

i am going to start making a list and compiling things that we would need to have with us in case of a fire. things that we would like to have with us...but really all that is important is our well being.
***can you help me?
****what is in your emergency box?
*****what are the things that are irreplaceable to you?
******what is important to have with you in case you had to leave your house?

4 comments:

  1. What a scary situation! Really gets me thinking about what I would want to grab in an instant and could I even tell you where those things are at this very moment. Good luck making your list and thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are things I would grab (If I had 5 minutes to run around grabbing things...)
    1. My journals & Bible(s)
    2. My computer
    3. My scrapbooks if they were here--mom still has them.
    4. File with passports and identification info in it.
    5. A few pieces of special jewelry that either Rob has given me or has been passed down from family (i.e. a couple necklaces and rings).
    I think that would be it....everything else feels pretty replaceable. And even if those things were lost, I think I would be find. just sad because I look forward to sharing those things with my kids someday--journals, jewelry, pictures...

    Glad you didn't have to make these decisions this week and that you all are okay. love you! i'll call soon so we can catch up. miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my list.....

    1. Wife
    2. Passport & Wallet
    3. A few clothes
    4. Bible
    5 And last but not least.....My cards! :)

    Miss you guys! Can't wait to see you all!

    Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete